Pages

My 100th Post... and my first of 2011!

10.1.11

Happy New Year!

It's hard to believe that it is 2011 already, and that we're already mid-way though January!

Walking to work this morning I took the most amazing slip on the icy pavements.  Not just a slip and fall, but a slip, fall and slide down into the road.  As I tried to stand back up with Bambi legs slipping on the ice the only thing I could think of was Spring!

Now, I can't really complain because, up to present, we've had a pretty mild winter.  We had a dumping of snow over the weekend though and, even though I watched two hours of Dancing on Ice last night, I still can't manage the shortest of walks on ice without ending up on my behind.  Even a holding a silver certificate in ice skating doesn't make up for my lack of coordination on winter footpaths.

There was only one thing for it...  To spend my lunch hour looking at Spring/Summer clothes and planning my wardrobe for a season where I can totter from the bus stop to work in cute heels.

The only problem is, I'm not really feeling the styles and trends that are around for S/S 2011.

Being back home in the UK over Christmas was great for my wardrobe.  I so miss shopping back home.

I welcome any shopping tips anyone can give me for Halifax, NS.  I want to find cheap, on trend clothes which I really struggle to do.  I begrudge paying a fortune for clothes I will only wear a few times.


Whilst back in the UK I found myself browsing the new collection at Topshop.  It was just before New Year and the sales section had been picked over so much that there was only teeny sizes and the weird sale pieces left.  You know those pieces that you swear you've never once seen in Topshop even though you go in there once a week!

Here's my rundown on Topshop's main S/S 2011 collections:

Swedish Summer
This is the look I have the most issues with.  It's a country style 70's collection.  Think lacy, flowers in your hair.  It's a style I just wouldn't feel comfortable wearing.


I have a huge problem with the mid-length skirt.  I find this length really unflattering on most people, and if you don't pull it off just right you could end up looking like a Grandma... or even me in my Index catalogue shop uniform circa 2000.  Which fortunately I have no photographic evidence of (I hope no-one else does either).  However, this look does have some gorgeous detailing, like the cutout pattern detail on this jacket.


The collection also features the uber comfortable brogues and knee high socks (which I WILL wear one day!)

It also features dungarees.  Which I will NEVER, EVER wear...


Ever!


Graduation Collection
Now, this collection is way more up my street.  Tailored and sophisticated.  Think preppy US 50's university style.  Sandals with cute ankle socks, shorts, knee length skirts.  I really love this look.





Except for the wide trousers...


Not feeling those as much!

Snake Valley Collection
This collection I like certain elements off.  I love the sheer fabrics and the floor length knits.  Think a Red Rock Canyon Desert Hummer trip whilst on a weekend in Las Vegas.




The patterning used in this collection also has a 70's vibe.


New Age Constellation Collection
The last collection Topshop has released for S/S 2011 is a really simple, minimalist style.  It reminds me of Japanese style basics clothing.




Hard to review as a whole collection, I would wear these pieces with other styles to liven them up a little.  Although I adore this piece with its shots of vibrant colours.


I always visit Topshop's new collections first to give me an idea of what styles I should be looking at for the upcoming season.  I find them one of the closest retailers to achieving that catwalk look that I then tone down for everyday wear.

Just thinking about Spring and Summer has cheered me up!

All images from Instyle UK.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

0 lovely comments:

 
Follow Me on Twitter